You know it's May when-
1) Greece is doing its best to detract holiday makers and you wonder if you should forgo the deposit on your Greek Holiday.
2) David Cameron is crowing about how to run Europe.
3) Your inbox is full of crowing statements from FX banks about how well they've done in a Euromoney Survey.
4) You live in London and are diagnosed with rickets through lack of sunlight.
5) There is a deafening silence from the Eurostriches. It normally takes until August for them to schedule a meeting for late September.
6) FX spot traders rummage in the drawer for last year's "what basis swaps are" notes.
7) Analysts just Tippex out and change the year on their research notes, confident that no one ever read them the first time round.
8) "Sell in May" statistical proofs hit your desk.
9) Your grandmother sends you old cuttings on how to grow your own veg and build an air-raid shelter.
10) EGDF replaces DGDF (see glossary)
11) No one cares about economic data.
12) The BBC question whether Van Rompuy deserves his last year's bonus.
13) Your P+L looks like the deck of a Japanese whaling ship.
14) Price Is News with "hasn't been here since [insert last time]" headlines dominating.
15) Despite the end of the world, someone manages to IPO a grillion $s worth of non-controlling shares in a company that everyone uses for free.
16) High yield pipeline dries up, liquidity dries up, the fund's credit trader starts punting index / working on his putt / is not in the office.
17) Zerohedge and Hotcopper light up with "why is GDX going down" oriented posts with the comments explaining some conspiracy.
18) Football competitions start to be cited as pivotal market driving events.
19) France and Germany pretend to be best mates.
20) Team Macro Man start leafing through the "situations vacant" column of the local parish magazine.
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (85)
- If TMM ran Europe
- This Is How You Get Got
- A Spanish Farce
- Inglorious Europeans
- Wasp in a Bottle.
- Struwwelpeter - Moral Tales for Modern Europe
- You know it's May when..
- Poll Results and Ramblings.
- Greek Exit. What do YOU think?
- The 19 stages of a Eurogeddon Monday.
- How the Banks See Each Other
- Friday Questions
- Perfect Storm: Part 2
- Kerwang Markets
- Behavioural Model.
- T'was a Dark and Stormy Night
- ▼ May (18)
- ► 2011 (182)
- ► 2010 (213)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (276)
- ► 2007 (336)